N. Krupskaya


To Lenin’s Sister Maria

Written: March 6, 1898. Letter sent from St. Petersburgh to Moscow
Published: 1931 in In Lenin’s Leflers to Relatives
Source: Lenin Collected Works, Progress Publishers, 1977, Moscow, Volume 37, pages 557-558.
Translated/Edited: George H. Hanna and Robert Daglish.
Transcription/Markup: D. Walters
Public Domain: Lenin Internet Archive 2008. You may freely copy, distribute, display and perform this work; as well as make derivative and commercial works. Please credit “Marxists Internet Archive” as the source/editing/transcription/markup information noted above.

March 6

I am sending Volodya’s articles. I did not send them before because I was waiting for him to reply to the letter in which I wrote about censorship conditions. He asked me to make enquiries, and the result of my enquiries is that the place of publication is most important. In this respect, Moscow is worse than St. Petersburg because even the most innocent books are held up for a long time and then hacked about very badly. Bulgakov’s book was held up for a year by the censor. It appears that Vodovozova has also transferred her publishing house to St. Petersburg. The ecri vain insists that it would be extremely unwise to publish the book in Moscow. So that’s that.

About my departure … Manya dear, I know nothing at all. There is a lady from Minusinsk living here who says that I shall not be able to leave after the lath or 12th without the risk of getting stuck on the way. I was hoping all along that the sentence would be pronounced on March 4 and we would be able to leave on the evening of the 10th. The sentence, however, has been postponed until the 11th (not definite either) and this is what they say in the Department: my request will “probably be taken into consideration”, and if I am given permission to go to Siberia, it will not be before the sentence has been pronounced, and perhaps I shall be given permission to go straight from St. Petersburg and not from Ufa Gubernia (I). I am going to the Department again tomorrow. I certainly don’t want my journey to be postponed until spring. I am in a great hurry today but tomorrow evening I will write to Anna llyinichna and tell her about my trip to the Department. Tomorrow, while I am there, J shall ask to be allowed to see Kuhn—it would be such a pity to go away without having seen her once.

Many kisses,
N. Krupskaya

You address letters wrongly to House 18, Apt 35, it should be the other way round, House 35, Apt. 18.